Person in charge: Paolo Prati
Since 2017 Sol et Salus has an internal Clinical Engineering Service (CE) as required by the 2008 Decree Law no. 1067
The CE allows structured management of the entire technological park which contributes in raising the safety levels and reducing the clinical risks of the entire health organization by using engineering methods typical when managing complex processes. The clinical engineer’s skills allow a safe and effective as well as financial management of this increasingly important asset in modern healthcare, for example in biomedical technology the clinical engineer is able to intervene in all processes of medical device purchase and management as well as HTA programmes (“Health Technology Assessment”), whose importance is highlighted in the 2015-2017 Health Pack.
The tasks of the CE include purchasing planning , computerised management of the technology park, maintenance process engineering, equipment safety and quality management and healthcare workers’ training. Over the years other tasks have been added to these such as risk management, telemedicine, certifications and accreditations, medical equipment management control (terms of contract, evaluations, purchases, management, maintenance, etc.), when preparing the investment plan as well as giving the General Manager support on all strategic activities and problems related to technology.
- Technology Assessment studies aimed at supporting Management during purchase planning and during electro-medical equipment and systems evaluation
- Tender predisposition for purchases/leasing agreements/service/equipment hire, electro-medical systems, computer and communication technology
- Technical and economic evaluation of equipment, electro-medical systems and computer and communication technologies
- Equipment inventory and approval tests
- Process checks regarding preventive and corrective maintenance (outsourced services for medium and low technology equipment)
- Periodic supervision on electrical safety, function control, equipment quality and clinical risk evaluation
- Managing maintenance contracts for technologically advanced equipment (manufactures, suppliers, third-party companies)
- Managing equipment dismissal and evaluating their possible re-use in developing countries.